Thursday, June 12, 2008

an imperative privilege

I have grown up as a Christian. Pause. I have not actually figured out if I like to use that word. There are far too many connotations behind it. Good and bad. That blog will come later. Perhaps it is best for me to say I have grown up with a faith in Jesus Christ. Of course it has changed dramatically over the years, but nonetheless, it has been with me since I can remember.
For years I have reflected at how blessed I am to have been raised in the faith while others struggle to find it, and some never do.
It was not until I grew older that I recognized the great responsibility this places on me. I was not given this faith to keep to myself. The one with the lights shines it for those in darkness. I was given a heart that beats for Christ and a mouth to confess that He is Lord. This is not news you keep quiet.
My duty is to proclaim. Peter and John understood this: "For we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard" (Acts 4:20). They did not shove it down people's throats. They did not force their faith on anyone. They simply spoke of their experience because it was great. Their witness to God's goodness was enough. It was powerful.
They knew the call that Christ had placed on their hearts. They understood the urgency to awaken sleeping souls. They devoted themselves to spreading of the Gospel. The were bound to Christ Jesus- a bondage that gave freedom.


Proverbs 3:27-28
Do not withhold good from those who deserve it,
when it is in your power to act.
Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow"-
when you now have it with you.

II Timothy 3:14-15
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
II Timothy 4:1-5
In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.


...well. I'm convicted.

love all. serve all.
-Karli

No comments: