Saturday, June 21, 2008

a continuing struggle...

I am trying not to fear what the Lord is placing so heavily upon me. My heart is burdened for the Western church. I want to see change. Sure, there are some great steps being made, but overall I am dissatisfied. Some people argue that there is no perfect church. True, if they are referring to the church as an institution. Church as an institution brings disunity in the Body. It separates us by tradition, denomination, rules, and politics. It becomes a country club.
Church as a Body unites believers together with Christ as the head: brothers and sisters made perfect in Jesus' image. A Church made perfect by the blood of our Savior. A Body that lives in freedom, and longs to share it with those in bondage. A Church that moves and breathes. A Church that recognizes its universality.
The Western church must think outside of its walls. It must claim its identity in the Body. It must completely surrender control and place Christ at the head to direct and guide. Perhaps that is the problem of the church today: a lack of surrender.
Is this not an issue of obedience? Are we listening to the Spirit's whisper? Upon whom do we rely?
There are weighty questions we must address, but we often avoid them out of fear that our flaws will be exposed.
Once I began to ask these questions, God stirred in me a desperation for change in the Western church.
This desire intimidates me. Change is no small task. It is a process that I must devote my life to. I am aware of the path God has set before me, but am cautious to start walking.
Some days I want to abandon this passion. Some days I feel like giving up, and moving to a place like Kenya where the persecuted Church is thriving- a Church that recognizes their need for the Lord.
I tire of the complacency I feel here. I tire of a Church distracted by comfort and pleasures. I tire of a faith that is put on the back burner. Yet, because of these things I feel all the more sure of my call to the States, and I long for something different. Something greater.
Frustration can lead to more bitterness, or it can inspire a pro-active solution. I'm hoping for the latter.
Lord, I'm broken and ill-equipped. Give me strength. Give me vision.


Isaiah 58

1 comment:

Jordan Brokaw said...

Wow, really good Karli. I've shared the same struggle as you, being so annoyed with the western church. It's refreshing to see other people passionate about change. It would be too easy for us all to sit and merely point out everything wrong with the church in America, but real change will come when we decide to take action ourselves. Lead by example. I know it sounds cliche, but it's true! Thanks for the inspiration!