Thursday, April 16, 2015

P O R T L A N D : My Sixthversary

Six Years to the day. Six years ago I packed my belongings and headed South to Portland, Oregon. I didn't have a job, or a clue- just a gut feeling that it was the place I needed to be. I sit here writing this post and a thousand memories flood my mind. Memories I have collected year after year, like sand dollars, in a town that was once so foreign to me. It seems strange that I was once a "newcomer" to a place that is such a home to me now. The years may have gone quickly, but in reflection so much has happened that six years feels like such a small number when I think of all the experiences I have had, and the ways I have grown. These experiences were influenced by the amazing relationships I have had the privilege to build here. I have met so many incredible people- some have come and gone, some have stayed around...but to each soul I have had the opportunity to know in this city, acquaintance or otherwise, THANK YOU. I feel so blessed by your friendship, and I am a better person because of you. I have lived with philosophers, theologians, writers, builders, filmmakers, comedians, teachers, bakers...and candlestick makers (no, really). It wasn't always easy, there were ups and downs, but I learned from every person I shared space with. Every housemate was incredibly unique, and gave my life color. To those people: you will always have a piece of my heart. Thank you for putting up with me. I have worked with such passionate, crazy, loving, rowdy, and thoughtful individuals. The stories are endless. I have made deep friendships, and shared some pretty memorable moments--I mean, I met Ke$ha for crying out loud! She smelled like lavender. That's a treasure for the books. I had no idea what to expect when I arrived in this town. If I would have guessed where I would be, or what I would be doing 6 years into the future I'm sure my projections would've been way off. However, I would not have it any other way. The past 6 years have been nothing short of magical, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude. To Portland and its people: You have changed me. You have challenged me, confused me, awed me, surprised me, and given me life. Moving here was the best decision I have ever made, and no matter where life takes me, I will always take you with me. Keep it weird, and prosper. Yours, Karli.

No comments: