Tuesday, December 2, 2008

thanks.

My family and I spent Thanksgiving with a family we have long been friends with, but never have spent a holiday with. It was a welcomed change. What wonderful people they are. I felt so blessed to share such a meaningful holiday with them. They have a large family: 5 children, all of whom are married except for the youngest, Kelsey (who is recently engaged). Only Kelsey was able to celebrate with us, as the others are scattered across the country. Although I missed the others, it was nice for conversational purposes to have a smaller group. Their Nana and Papa were able to join us as well. I adore them. They are an incredible couple: married well over 50 years, they still have the spark. I only hope that one day I can experience the kind of love and respect they have for each other in my own relationship. Both of their lives reflect Christ's kindness and grace. They live their lives as mission.
Papa is extremely well-spoken and shared some heartfelt words at the dinner table. He speaks gospel folks. It's rad.
Of course in traditional Zimmermann, and apparently Sutherland fashion, we went around the table and each person shared what he/she was truly thankful for. It might be cheesy or a bit cliche, but I will speak straight truth and tell you that I love to do this. It always puts things in perspective, forced or not.
I am SO blessed.
I am surrounded by family and friends that love me unconditionally. As I have learned, especially this past year, that is rare. Not everyone has people to care for them in such an unselfish way. Not everyone has a family they look forward to spending time with. Not everyone knows what it means to feel loved.
Yet, what I am most thankful for, is the fact that even if I had no friends or family that loved me, and everything I had was taken from me, the Lord would still be holding me. He is enough. A God that loves without our effort. A God that never changes. A God that wants the greatest good for the worst sinner. How amazing it is that the Lord we serve is so all-encompassing that He alone can satisfy the deepest longings of our hearts. It overwhelms me.
I am moved by Paul's words to the Philippians, "But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord."

Lord, you are it. Nothing I have will amount to the joy and hope I find in You. Teach me to be humble. You deserve all my thanksgiving and praise.

Amen.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Good post.

Thanksgiving rocks - all a good chance to refocus on what matters and how blessed (spoiled) we are.