Saturday, August 30, 2008

the element of surprise

The dictionary's definition of surprise is "to strike or occur to with a sudden feeling of wonder or astonishment, as through unexpectedness." I love that. There is no better word to describe my current state-of-being. The Lord has me right where He wants me: in a posture of surprise.
He illuminates each step as I need it, but the path is unknown. As a person without much patience, uncertainty has been a hard thing to surrender. However, particularly in these past few months, God has made it clear that uncertainty creates complete dependecy on Him. Makes sense doesn't it? What a relief that we do not have to rely on ourselves. I've already learned the hard way concerning that matter. No thanks. I'd rather be in a euphoric state of expectency. Waiting for the Lord to work. Results are always better when He has the control.
Recently He has made it clear that I am to stay in the Tacoma area for awhile. To be quite honest this had me stupefied. I have felt a call toward the Portland area for a long time. Yet, right before I made the trek, the Lord made it very clear I'm to stay right where I am. I do feel like the stay is temporary. There is a reason I am supposed to be here right now. I have not figured that out just yet, but I feel like there is a very specific purpose. So now I wait for clarity on that. I'm not sure just how clear it will be of course. Sometimes we don't realize the purpose behind something until much later. Sometimes we are just a small part of a much larger picture.
We do not always see the fruit of our labor. We simply have to remind ourselves that what the Lord begins, He also finishes. We are the seed-planters. He is the gardener.
I believe in the truth of God's word. Philippians 1:6 explains,"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."
I can live with that.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Good post - great lessons on life.

I be praying for God's direction for you, while I continue to pray for my own. Maybe the lack of direction for now, can translate into more time to post on your blogs?! wink! wink!

Unknown said...

this is encouraging. i like your thoughts. and i love you.